Monday, September 19, 2011

I lost my mojo!

Are you wondering where in the world have I been for the past few weeks?  And what is up with 2 random posts a week, when I was posting about 4 times week before? Well it has been a tough few weeks for me.  I have been fighting with training burn out (I have been training continuously for about 16 months) and a little personal issue (which I won't bore you with), but I AM BACK!   Spending time with my family, catching up with old friends and just letting my hair down a little bit seems to have done the trick.  I am happy to report that I consumed more than 2 beers on Saturday night, and had a wonderful time.  :)

Now please do not think that I haven't been working out or doing anything triathlon related over the past few weeks.  I certainly have, but I changed my attitude towards training.  I really tried to focus on the things that I enjoyed.  For example, I was supposed to run 2-3 hours for FUN on Saturday.  So I ran 10 miles, which a little less than 2 hours, but running 10 miles is fun. I love running, but running more than 10 miles ALONE, isn't really enjoyable.  So I  decided to stick to what was fun for me. I took my time and took everything in- the planes at Gravely Point, the cute puppies on the trail, the cute guys also running,  the monuments, etc, etc.  It was great! And I do not think a couple of miles is going to make a huge difference in the whether or not I cross the finish line in Cozumel.  However, I do think that if I didn't address this burn out situation, it would have caused a huge problem a few weeks done the road.  Especially when Q3 reporting starts and I living at the office.

So where do I go from here?  How am I going to get through the next 10 weeks of training?  Am I still excited about IM?  Over the next 10 weeks (which will probably fly by), I am going to keep my eye on the prize.  Everytime I don't feel like working out, I am going to think about how it is going to feel when they say "WHITNEY, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN".  Am I still excited about the race?? Hell yes!! I am really freaking excited.  I just think that the everything going on over the past few weeks finally hit me, hard. I needed a little break.  But I have my mojo back. :)  Let's do this.  Rangar relay is this weekend.  I will be spending the first weekend in October doing an 18 mile run and 110 mile ride.  October 8th and 9th, I will be working instead of racing Waterman's, but I will squeeze something in.  Then I will be tackling the mother of all workouts, 20 mile run and 120 mile ride the weekend of the 22nd. 

69 days until race day!! 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! It's good to know that I am not alone when I experience training burnout. I'm glad you are back - and you are going to ROCK IM!!! Good luck - 10 weeks will fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) glad your mojo is back. please share your mojo with me over drinks soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am feeling the burnout with you. We are going to have a great time with Ragnar and find ways to enjoy some of our long training weekends.

    ReplyDelete