Tuesday, October 25, 2011

PT Appointment Recap: 1st Edition

Hey guys!  Happy Tuesday.  I hope the first part of your week has been awesome.  As you know, Sunday did not turn out as I would have liked, so I was hoping and praying that this week would be a good one.  And I am happy to report things are going pretty darn good. WOOP WOOP! 

Now on to the important stuff like is my leg going to fall off, etc.  I must start by saying that Dr. Moses at NOVA Pain and Rehab is AWESOME!!  Not only did he know exactly what he was doing, he was super nice and warned me when he was going to do something that was going to hurt. He was also was very thorough and explained everything he was doing and why he was doing it. Oh- did I mention that he has finished 3 IMs???  He is pretty badass!  Having a triathlete as my PT is amazing. 

Okay- so now that everyone knows Dr. Moses is awesome, I will get to what he said about my hip.  So there are a few things that could be wrong.  I could have bursitis.  Not a big deal-  it is annoying and a litle painful, but nothing I am TOO concerned about.  I had a chronic case of this my freshman year in college, so I know I can push through it.

I could also have labral tear in my hip. During the exam Dr. Moses mentioned that my femur does not rest in my hip socket properly.  #DumbFemur! Why is this  important, you ask?  Well as a result of femur rebelling and not resting properly in my hip socket, it is rubbing, irritating and possibly tearing everything around it. #IRepeat-DumbFemur!  So this is where the MRI comes in. Dr. Moses wants me to get an MRI in the near future to make sure nothing is torn.  He said I could wait until after IM, so that is what I am going to do.  If something is torn, I do not want to know about it.  IGNORANCE IS BLISS! This is another reason why Dr. Moses is the Da Bomb Diggity.  (Yes, I did just say that)  He understands that I NEED to race and did not force me to get the MRI right away.  However, he did say that if things get worse, I probably should get the MRI sooner than later. Please say a little prayer that this doesn't happen. :)


The last thing Dr. Moses said was that I could have a fractured femur...GASP!!!!  Well he is pretty sure that isn't the case.  Thank goodness! He can't rule it out completely without X-Rays but he is fairly certain that I am not broken. :)

So what am I supposed to do now?  It looks like I will be spending a lot of time at NOVA Pain and Rehab- 3 times a week to be exact. I am confident that the treatment will help; however, I am not looking forward to all the pain Dr. Moses is going to inflict on me.  As for training- Dr. Moses said that I could continue training, which includes running.  This was music to my ears.  I have never been to a PT that has told me I could continue running.  #BestNewsOfTheDay!

How do I feel about everything now? I am actually feeling pretty good about everything.  I am relieved that I can continue training.  Now I am not saying that I am going to be dumb and push through the pain, if my hip really hurts. BUT I am going to do as much as I can.  So bring on the 15 mile run and the 80 mile ride this weekend.  I am ready to take you on! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment